Diabetes is a condition that affects large numbers of people in Ireland. Is caused by the body's response to a hormone called insulin. People with type I diabetes produce low levels of insulin. People with type 2 diabetes develop insulin resistance with obesity and family history of diabetes being big risk factors
Park Lodge Medical Centre will provide you with the appropriate medical care if you suffer from diabetes.
As a diabetic, it is highly recommended that you have a six monthly review of your diabetes.
Our aim is to prevent the complications associated with diabetes and to optimise your sugar control.
This comprehensive review will initially take place with our practice nurse followed by a review by your doctor.
- Medication Review – Therefore it is important to bring with you all the tablets you are taking including any over the counter medication.
- Blood Pressure- check +/- 24hour reading. Diabetics require tighter blood pressure control
- ECG test (to check your heart)
- Blood tests – The blood tests will focus on your diabetic control over the last 6-8 weeks, your kidneys and your cholesterol
- Urine analysis
- Foot care- exam and advice regarding the common diabetic complications associated with the feet like ulcers and peripheral vascular disease
- In depth physical exam- focusing on picking up any complications of diabetes. We will be happy to answer any questions you have regarding your diabetes.
Symptoms of Diabetes Include
- Increased urination
- Increased appetite or loss of appetite
- Excessive thirst
- Visible weight loss
- Blurred vision
- Recurrent skin infections
- Vaginal infections or infections of the foreskin in uncircumcised men
- Slowly healing sores
Do you think you may have Diabetes?
Diabetes is diagnosed by examining glucose levels in blood samples using a various number of tests. If you feel you may have some symptoms of Diabetes please call today to make an appointment.
Our underlying aim is an improvement in the duration and quality of your life.